At Newman 6th we ensure that each student is supported at not only during their time here but also for when they leave us such as applying to university, undertaking apprenticeships and work experience or pursuing full-time employment. Our students have successfully gained places at top universities and have obtained apprenticeships in areas such as accounting and finance.
We aim to support every student who wishes to apply for Cambridge and Oxford through application help, interview practice and fortnightly meetings with the ‘Oxbridge group’. In the last year we have seen 10 of our students apply to Cambridge and Oxford and 8 had received an interview as followed:
- Alex Potter to read Computer Science at Homerton College, Cambridge
- Kurias Paul to read Computer Science at Churchill College, Cambridge
- Oliwia Zawada to read Psychology and Behavioural sciences at Kings College, Cambridge
- Owen Kearney to read Politics and International relations at St. Catharines College, Cambridge
- Prince George to read Computer Science at Robinson College, Cambridge
- Sam Tenny to read Geography at Homerton college, Cambridge
- Dominic Eames to read Chemical Engineering at Robinson College, Cambridge
- Fabian Kapadia to read Mathematics at Robinson College, Cambridge
At Newman we have a dedicated member of our team, Ms Palmiero who offers careers education, information, advice and guidance to students who wish to discuss their options post-sixth form. This includes but is not limited to:
- CV Advice
- Apprenticeship applications
- Interview practice and advice
- Meeting with employers, to ensure that she has the most up-to-date information on the job market.
- Organise lectures to come into school
- Organise the in-house careers fair.
- Trips to apprenticeships fair – Such as the National Apprenticeship fair : Emirates Stadium 1st March 2019
Ms Palmiero also offers advice with Higher National Certificates (HNC) and Higher National Diplomas (HND) as an alternative to the standard university route.
As well as conventions, Ms Palmiero arranges trips to universities as well as residentials. Recent examples include an engineering residential at Imperial College London and a medilink residential which were both paid for by the college.
To ensure that Newman6th pupils make fully informed decisions regarding their post-18 destinations, we ensure that they have access to the Unifrog system. Such a service allows students to view university and apprenticeship courses and create ‘shortlists’.
The service also helps students write their personal statement to ensure they maximise their chances of getting into the University that they wish to attend. Unifrog also ensures that students can receive feedback on their personal statement from their ALPS mentor whom can give online feedback throughout the application period.
To access please log-in with the link below:
Applicants then can use Unifrog to search for various uni courses and apprenticeships. There is also a personal statement section to ensure that students can be working on it from an early stage.
Other Useful Links include:
Once students are signed up, UCAS will send them information about HE, apprenticeships, Gap years, internships and any other options that the students tell them they are interested in.
Other Useful Links include: